Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Final Research Projects

In our course on French history and politics, each student has been pursuing an independent research project across the semester.  We have proceeded from topic sheets to bibliographies and outlines, topic presentations to the class, and rough drafts.  Over the past week, each student student has been presenting her concluding findings to the class.  The final papers are due tomorrow, our last day of class!

Andrea is writing on the history of fashion in the 1920s, a pivotal decade in European women's history and the history of haute couture, as women's attire and appearance changed to reflect the dramatic social and economic changes catalyzed by World War I.


Annie's project treats the controversial modernization of the Louvre after I.M. Pei's glass pyramid heralded a new era of marketing and business for the world's oldest public art museum.


Caroline is investigating the impact of French state policy on female participation in the economic sphere, specifically the effects of pronatalist policies such as child stipends and paid maternity leave on French women's status in the business world.


Hannah's paper explores the background and impact of the Elysée treaty signed in 1963 by Charles de Gaulle, President of France, and Konrad Adenauer, Chancellor of West Germany, charting a now fifty-plus-year history of Franco-German cooperation.


Kianna's work concerns the weeks of violence in November 2005 in over 250 French towns enacted primarily by suburban teenagers following the deaths of two young men of Malian and Tunisian ancestry, who were fleeing the police in Clichy-sous-Bois, outside Paris. 


Meredith's essay focuses on the Vichy regime, which collaborated with Nazi Germany, and French participation in the Holocaust.  She looks in particular at the imprisonment of Jews in Paris in the Vél d'Hiv before deportation to the Drancy concentration camp and, ultimately, death camps in Poland.


Renee's interest in French food led her to Antonin Carême, the first "celebrity chef," credited with having created modern French cuisine at the turn of the nineteenth century.  Carême was especially famous for his elaborate pastry creations that he produced for royals across Europe.


Tessla's paper explains the significance of the French bombing of the Greenpeace ship, the Rainbow Warrior, in 1985 as the ship sat in a New Zealand harbor before intending to sail to Moruroa to protest French nuclear testing.










1 comment:

  1. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) for the last four years and had constant outbreaks and pains. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday, and i was taking treatments and meds from my doctor. I was taking accyclovir alongside some ointment. I spent so much on meds but the blisters still return after some months. It was early this year, i was using the Internet to see if i could gather any information to get rid of this virus once and for all, using natural herbs. Then i came across a testimony of a woman who was healed from diabetes and Cancer of the breast by one Herbal Dr.yakubu. I copied the email address of the doctor after her testimony. So I sent a message to Dr.yakubu telling him about my Herpes Virus. he told me not to worry that as long as I will make use of the herbs as directed, with God, I will soon testify. I thought he was bluffing. So we got talking and he asked me some questions. He prepared and sent me some herbs in 70ml bottles and ointment, then he guided me on how to use them. In less than 2 months of usage, i was totally healed. The blisters disappeared and the pains gone too. I went for a test and the result was Negative. I had to use a different hospital and the result was same. Since over nine months now, I am Herpes Free.... Please my advise is this, if you have similar sickness or any other sickness at all, Please do not forget to reach out to Dr.yakubu on : (dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com). you can also reach the doctor on whatsapp +2348057353647

    ReplyDelete